Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Adventures in Alex

We had our first out-of-Cairo excursion this past weekend, and I saw the Mediterranean Sea for the first time. Alexandria, Egypt's second largest city  (yet 1/5 of Cairo's population) is located directly on the north coast and was once one of the most prominent cities in the world. Founded by Alexander the Great in 331 BC, Alexandria was a Hellenistic hub and thus boasts a rich history crosscut by the Greeks and Romans. During our visit, we were able to get a glimpse into how these civilizations influenced Alexandria by touring some of the historical sites.

The view from our hotel -- the Corniche waterfront promenade

It took us about 5 hours with traffic to drive from Cairo to Alexandria, but I really liked getting the lay of the land beyond Cairo. It's pretty much desert, although we did pass by some huge irrigated fields. There are little stores and merchant shops set up along the highway, and people were constantly crossing. We slowed down a lot for toll roads and weigh stations as well.

Our first night was dinner on our own, so Kerrie, Mac, and I decided to walk towards downtown to find a good place. We ended up in some of the smaller, cobbled streets in a poorer area, and the harassment was definitely worse here than my experience in Cairo. People typically just shout the only things that they know in English -- "Hey! How are you?!" or they will mutter some Arabic slang that we can barely understand. The worst was when a man came like a foot from my ear and said, "Bonjour, Seniorita."Not correct or appealing, sir. Anyways, we decided to get out of there pretty quickly and stick to the main road along the waterfront called the Corniche. It is important to note that Alexandria has become more conservative than Cairo, and it is the seat for some of the Islamist movements in Egypt. I felt like I had to be more guarded here.


On Friday, we hit the historical sites. The first stop was an ancient monument called Pompey's pillar, which is a red granite column extending 30 m high on Alexandria's ancient acropolis . It was dedicated to the Roman Empire Diocletian from the people of Alexandria. Famine had struck the city so the people were rioting. Diocletian swore that we would kill every person in Alexandria until the blood rose to the knees of his horse if the riots did not cease. Upon this swearing, his horse tripped and fell to the ground. Diocletian took this as a divine sign and sent grain to Alexandria.  The pillar was erected to commemorate his generosity.
 Pompey's Pillar

Inside the temple -- this is what the inside of the catacombs looked like too

The next site was Catacombs of Kom el Shuqafa, which are tombs from the Roman period. There are three levels of burials, but the lowest level has been usurped by groundwater. We ventured to the second level, and it felt like being back in Mammoth Cave. We saw the three main tombs, decorated with Egyptian and Greek art, which belonged to the wealthy father, mother, and son. The rest of the hundred or so tombs belonged to the relatives.

In the afternoon, we went to the Roman Odeum, which was a small theatre established for plays. Then we toured the Fortress of Qait Bey, which was originally built in the 15th century. My favorite part of Qait Bey was sitting on the promenade watching the Mediterranean waves splash up against the man-made concrete barriers. One thing that I love about Egypt in general is that people are always outside -- and they were definitely out in Alexandria. Families, couples, gangs of boys were just hanging out along with coast with us, and I just relaxed and people-watched for a while. It was nice to just sit and take it in after touring the whole day.
 Fortress of Qait Bey

Ahmed and Mac chillin seaside

That night, we went to a restaurant in Qait Bey that is famous for its seafood. Alexandria in general is known for its delicious fish and shrimp, so naturally I was tempted to break my vegetarianism for this one night. I haven't eaten fish in two years, so I was pretty nervous but really excited to "experience the taste of Alexandria." Typical me, I wolfed down a plate of snapper and shrimp, and I was definitely satisfied. The next morning, disaster struck. BOOM! My body did not handle the fish well, and I got major food poisoning/body rejecting the fish. I was sick the entire day, and thus had to miss the most of the tour of Alexandria's Library and all the Montazah Palace and Gardens. I have been on the road to recovery for the past three days -- I got some antibiotics and have been resting since the fateful seafood incident.

My downfall

Getting sick was definitely a low point, but it felt good to know that my program and my friends here were quick to take care of me. I feel like I can handle a lot in Egypt if I can manage overcoming food poisoning in a foreign seaport. Also, the train to Alexandria is cheap and only takes 2 hours. I definitely plan on going back -- mainly just to see that Mediterranean coast again.

3 comments:

  1. That photo with the red-coat girl on the sea, she looks like she has a tail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Mammoth Cave? No art down there.
    Stick with the veggies.

    Actually, this isn't from Grandpa, It's I. the G'ma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Ahmed's comment. Is that a grab bar cemented in the rock? At first glance I thought she was the Lion from Wizard of Oz! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete